Wexford defeated Sligo on the Showgrounds to advance

Wexford pulled off an enormous header to see off five-time FAI Cup champions Sligo Rovers in additional time to progress to the second spherical.

An Eightieth-minute purpose from Dinny Corcoran pressured the sport into extra-time after Aidan Keena put Rovers forward with a penalty, and Ger Shortt’s cross was changed into the online in added time it is purpose scorer, Luke McNicholas to safe a spot within the subsequent sport. for the First Division aspect.

The Bit O’Purple have had a brief interval of change after Thursday’s European champions, with supervisor John Russell making large modifications to his aspect after that win at Motherwell, and giving Eanna Clancy, Kailin Barlow and Cillian Heaney first objectives – all certified for Sligo. Rovers academy.

Shane Blaney, Aidan Keena, Garry Buckley and David Cawley had been all rested for the tie.

Wexford got here to The Showgrounds hoping to trigger an upset, with the type of Aaron Dobbs named among the many starters.

The sport began slowly, each side took time to settle into the sport.

Sligo’s first actual probability got here on 14 minutes when Barlow picked out Max Mata, however Alex Moody got here proper off his line to gather.

Wexford defender Paul Cleary was relieved to not be penalized for a few obvious handballs within the dwelling aspect’s field, as Bit O’Purple struggled to place a stamp on it. we noticed within the sport.

Regardless of having much less possession than their opponents, the First Division aspect appeared threatening in assault.

Conor Barry’s long-distance effort wouldn’t fear McNicholas – who not too long ago signed a brand new take care of John Russell’s aspect to maintain him on the membership till 2024.

With Rovers urgent, Moody was untroubled in Wexford’s objectives, and it was McNicholas who needed to be alert as he did properly to thwart Barry’s try to get going after an excellent transfer from to construct in 44 minutes.

The second half was additionally uneventful, however Sligo grabbed a penalty on 52 minutes when Frank Liivak was introduced up within the field, Keena confidently slotting a moody shot into the Wexford purpose.

An excellent save from Moody denied Liivak from Keena’s by ball on 69 minutes, earlier than Wexford acquired again into the sport.

They appeared harmful, particularly after the changers had been made. And when the Bit O’Purple didn’t clear their strains, Corcoran stepped as much as rating in opposition to his former crew.

Extra time was requested, and it grew to become one other uninteresting affair, to be sincere. Mark Byrne ought to have put his aspect forward when he nodded in Will Fitzgerald’s cross.

Sligo had their probabilities, however had been left to falter when Shortt’s by ball appeared properly held by McNicholas, however the Rovers netminder he threw it into his internet.

In reality, it was a well-deserved win for Wexford who defended admirably in opposition to a top-class crew whose attentions have been elsewhere in latest weeks.

Sligo Rovers: Luke McNicholas, Lewis Banks, Nando Pijnaker, Eanna Clancy, Paddy Kirk, Adam McDonnell (David Cawley 98), Kailin Barlow (Robbie Burton, 65), Niall Morahan (Aidan Keena, 48), Frank Liiivak (Will Fitzgerald, 8), Cillian Heaney (Mark Byrne, 64), Max Mata

Wexford: Alex Moody, Paul Cleary, Joe Manley, Eoin Farrell, Adam Wells (Len O’Sullivan, 79), Luka Lovic, Conor Crowley, Conor Barry, Thomas Considine (Ger Shortt, 65), Harry Groome (Jordan Tallon, 65), Aaron Dobbs

Referee: Damien MacGraith

About the author


Leave a Comment